Information on this page is being posted in stages — site went down and some information was lost and so content is being inputted. If you have good resources, please share. May 6, 2021
These are just a few resources to help! Please note this is a work in progress.
We lack the time for a full listing, but include key or supportive news:
- Boston opposes 5G. The City of Boston has submitted to the FCC a call to "refresh" its outdated exposure guidelines and discusses small wireless facilities (SWFs) as being health concerns. Boston adds that it believes the concerns of the public are real.
- Senator Markey. Markey keeps supporting 5G rollouts and wireless over wired.
- Federal Representatives Neal and McGovern (Western MA) signed onto bills to reverse FCC decisions against local control (see politician scorecards).
- Western MA wireless rollout. Senator Hinds and Comerford inserted an amendment for a few million to support wireless in rural western Massachusetts. This is because areas like Monterey complained about Verizon service.
- Verizon Digital Promise Innovative Learning Schools - provides technology with high frequency 28 GHz 5G, primarily to poor middle schools (see timeline) including some chools in Holyoke and Boston.
- Cambridge wins 5G court battle over ordinance and 5G siting requirements.
- Stop5G ordinance changes: Burlington, Bedford, Lincoln, Southborough, Wayland, Pittsfield, Cambridge (more recent), etc. Shelburne has a large setback as does Sheffield and Stockbridge.
- Cell tower opposition: Centerville, Needham, North Andover, Franklin, Leominster, Dover-Sherborn Regional School, Peabody, Pittsfield, Mashpee, Monterey, Chappaquiddick/ Edgartown (David Strayton's lawsuit before AGO); Southwick (tower denied)
- Pittsfield vs. cell towers. The City Council unanimously voted to require the health department to investigate the symptoms reported after installation of a cell tower. Some residents are also suing to take down a recently installed cell tower while others organize.
- Local advocate Patricia Burke continues to publish relevant articles online with Natural Blaze.
- Court Likely to reverse FCC decision on safety of existing wireless guidelines - National Law Review reported this but the original link is removed.
- Oregon Health Department scrubbed wireless report - SB 283 for an investigation received unanimous state senate approval, 50-8 support in state house, and on Aug. 9, 2020, was signed into law by Gov. Kate Brown but the Washington Spectator reports “Oregon Health Authority Condemned by Scientists For Scrubbing Report on Wireless Hazards in Schools.”
- New Hampshire 5G/Wireless Investigation - Final report issues wireless warning and recommends limits.
- Groups ask FCC to pause commercial 6 GHz device certification to prevent interference with public safety and critical infrastructure services, including the Utility Technology Council (UTC), the American Gas Association, the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International, the American Petroleum Institute (API), American Public Power Association (APPA), American Water Works Association, Edison Electric Institute (EEI), International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC), the National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA)
- Stop5G Resolutions have been passed by Hawaii County, Easton (CT), and Farragut (TN) - Trump's Mar-A-Lago is excluded from 5G. For more examples, please see the Environmental Health Trust > Key Issues > 5G.
- Verizon Digital Promise Innovative Learning Schools - provides technology with high frequency 28 GHz 5G, primarily to poor schools - see timeline for a listing of some schools.
- Satellite News:
- There were 2 satellites in the 1970s, 3 in the 80s, 215 in the 90s per this graphic: http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/14/satellites/index.html
- Union for Concerned Scientists maintains a list of total operational satellites. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/satellite-database - another list including nonoperational is here: https://www.pixalytics.com/satellites-orbiting-earth-2019/
- 5G may be replaced by lasers from satellites.
- As of 6 Oct. 2020, Starlink SpaceX satellites are transmitting for service in N. USA and southern CAN from 44.9 - 51.8 - launch assured enough transmitting power for consumer beta testing, in contrast to previous employee testing.
- Starlink reports "extraordinary demand" August 2020 with nearly 700K requesting service (or are these new subscribers?), leading to a request to double user terminals. The U.S. Army also signed a contract.
- Sept. 2020 WA firefighters used Starlink SpaceX satellite transmissions (Nat'l Post, Thomas Seal, 8 Oct 2020).
- Pillage of Muddy Brook - 8 min. video of state logging of Wendell State Forest in MA.
- Natural forests are best at storing carbon and protecting water supplies, biodiversity, and preventing fires - natural is different than forests planted by human beings
- CalloftheForest.ca (movie)
- Mature trees are dying of stressors, (drought, insects, etc.), not only of logging
- State of the Forests
- Burned: Are Forests the New Coal (movie) - burnedthemovie.com
- Nine forestry myths you may have heard
- Biomass energy basics
- US forests destroyed for EU biomass
- MA - NOFA MassQuito has prepared an educational page about opting out of state-wide MA mosquito spraying. MA communities need to begin now to opt out in 2022 though individuals can opt out at any time. Holyokers, please sign: https://forms.gle/hh5vvzw4yYZj1NTf9
- Mosquito predators suffer more from pesticides than mosquitoes (National Geographic).
- Pesticides are toxic - linked to brain damage, etc.
- Massachusetts' pesticide Anvil 10+10 with Sumithrin is toxic and also has also leached PFAS. In studies, doses considered safe still allow that rats have tumors, developmental issues, miscarriages, deformities, etc.
- Insects have declined 75%
- Birds have declined 3 billion.
- Beyond Pesticides (beyondpesticides.org) - impacts on pets and a database of ill effects and more.
- US Right to Know (usrtk.org)
This refers to fluoride added to drinking water.
- FluorideAlert dot org - Excellent resource.
- Federal court case - FAN (listed above) is currently engaged in a lawsuit against the EPA. Winning appears likely and may embarrass the EPA but still fail to stop water fluoridation.
- 2020 Consensus Statement by UK and International Medical and Scientific Experts (PHIREmedical dot org)
- Scientists' Warning Statement on Wireless & Electricity: EMFscientist.org
- Letter on Electromagnetic Sensitivity by Dr. Beatrice Golomb
- 5G Letter to Medical Professionals Physicians for Safe Technology
- A 5G Wireless Future by Dr. Cindy Russell (sums up research findings on 5G)
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine (see position statements)
- 5GAppeal.EU - Scientists and doctors call for a 5G moratorium
In addition to Pubmed, Aachen University, in Germany, has maintained a search portal that includes some extended research summaries online via the EMF-Portal dot org/en. Originally, the EMF-Portal was sponsored by telecommunication companies who decided around 2018 to stop sponsorship. PowerWatch.org.UK has a search function and research listings. Bioinitiative.org provides research summaries and reports by independent scientists in areas of the scientists' specializations. The Bioinitiative has several charts on research findings from various power density exposures, a chart on immunity research, etc. ORSAA dot org has a research database. Dr. Joel Moskowitz, who maintains a blog SaferEMR, has maintained a list of all recent wireless research with abstracts and some extended information on the research online at his site - the link changes with updates, so it is necessary to check for a recent research post. Although plagued with distracting ads, GreenMedInfo dot com/anti-therapeutic-action/electromagnetic-field-harms has a left tab with symptoms which can be clicked for research lists.
There are also other pages by or about the work of scientists with information such as AndrewMarino dot com and NeilCherry dot NZ.
Research overviews are also available with websites such as the Environmental Health Trust or the Physicians for Safe Technology.
Research on sensitivity includes:
- Diagnostic marker research (2020): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32168876/
- A report of long-term effects of exposure is available online at KompetenzInitiative.net/brochures
- The "EUROPAEM EMF Guideline 2016 for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of EMF-related health problems and illnesses" can be found on PubMed or on DeGruyter dot com and downloaded for free and provides a good background on the condition and potential treatment.
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32289567/ (mechanisms)
- Many recommended treatments include addressing deficiencies or utilizing supplements to alleviate oxidation or inflammation. "Metabolic and Genetic Screening of Electromagnetic Hypersensitive Subjects as a Feasible Tool for Diagnostics and Intervention" suggests that glutathione is often sorely lacking and has a genetic as well as exposure basis, as well as noting some similarities between electromagnetically and chemically sensitive patients (De Luca et al, 2014).
- Dr. Johansson has also published numerous articles examining skin changes from electromagnetic exposures, and in Pathophysiology in 2009 an article on immune system disruption. His early work examined VDU screen monitors and coined the term screen dermatitis. An older article on this subject makes a comparison: "Skin changes in "screen dermatitis" versus classical UV- and ionizing irradiation-related damage--similarities and differences." Further information follows in "A theoretical model based upon mast cells and histamine to explain the recently proclaimed sensitivity to electric and/or magnetic fields in humans." Johansson's work indicates changes in the microbiome, skin structure, wound healing, and mast cells, including increases in bacteria, contribute to screen dermatitis.
- TSH and ALT/AST blood findings indicate thyroid dysfunction, liver dysfunction, and chronic inflammation in patients expressing electromagnetic sensitivity as stated in "Blood laboratory findings in patients suffering from self-perceived electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS)" (Dahmen et al, 2009). Note: other studies have found pathological changes in the thyroid from mobile phone use. A reference is made to thyroid and other concerns in this study: "The Effects of Electromagnetic Field on the Endocrine System in Children and Adolescents" (Sangün Ö et al, 2015).
- A 2017 paper evaluates several diagnostic elements of illness from exposures, noting length of illness shows a trend towards higher levels in tests: "Increasing levels of saliva alpha amylase in electrohypersensitive (EHS) patients" (Andrianome et al).
- A 2015 paper reviews animal studies indicating myelin damage or impact on nerve conduction: "Could myelin damage from radiofrequency electromagnetic field exposure help explain the functional impairment electrohypersensitivity? A review of the evidence" (Redmayne & Johansson).
- The Austrian Medical Association initially published guidelines for diagnosing electromagnetic (whether in relation to electricity or wireless) health problems in 2012, reflecting some biochemical changes identified in research. This is easy to locate online - add EMF to the search.
GolombResearchGroup.org - Genetic markers are being further investigated by Dr. Beatrice Golomb of the Golomb Group in California, based at the University of San Francisco. Additional funding is welcomed.
- Electricity - See Magda Havas's youtube presentations or website for presentations on problems with electricity ranging from stray current to power quality. The latter is also discussed briefly on slides 12 & 13 of the Beatty.fyi/smartgrid presentation with economic costs.
- Static Electricity - See Isaac Jamieson's firm's youtube presentations for Biosustainable Designs, for example: Electrostatic Charge and Covid19
- Powerwatch.org.uk also has summary papers on exposures from electricity.
Sensitivity to wireless and/or electricity can be very difficult with reports of homelessness, isolation, and suicides. Some associations provide a perspective, education, and/or advocacy, including:
- Electrosensitivity UK (es-uk dot info)
- WeAretheEvidence dot org
- EIwellspring dot org
- CellphoneTaskForce dot org
- ES-Ireland dot com
Dr. Olle Johansson has published on the attitudes in Sweden versus other countries, noting that in Sweden there is a protective status in "Electrohypersensitivity: a functional impairment due to an inaccessible environment." While more must be done, several other countries and some US agencies have recognized electromagnetic sensitivity.
- Energy costs of internet - flyer by Katie Singer
- Letters to Greta - by Katie Singer
- Eco-agricultural impacts of information technology (2019)
- Wireless harms butterflies, birds, bees
- Bee brochure - KompetenzInitiative.com/brochures (see bee brochure)
- Mt. Nardi wildlife impacts (report)
- Wireless vs. hard-wired energy costs
- 5G & climate change (Environmental Health Trust)
- Digital divide trick - Funds meant for wired services are being misappropriated to provide wireless, as discovered by the Irregulators and explained in the linked video.
- Irregulators.org - The Irregulators is group of experts working on legal action and policy research, with fact sheets on misuse of funds in MA and NY.
- The Environmental Health Trust has a tool kit.
- Recommendations for students studying at home from Russia
Also, support Massachusetts H. 106 to limit school screen time (see MA legislation, education bills for info)!
Two, keep in mind that the object is to unplug for kids - not just hard-wire. Close contact with electricity and sitting all day long in schools or at home is unhealthy. Old-fashioned books and printing are healthier than screens.
▪ Stop 5G International organizes international days of action
▪ Piti Theatre Company (children's shows on electromagnetic sensitivity or impacts on bees, etc.)
- Reasons to Stop 4G/5G - scroll down to download
- How Dangerous is Wireless Radiation? Brochure overview (Last Tree Laws, B&W trifold brochure, update 2020)
- Just Say Analog and no wireless utility meters (Last Tree Laws, 8X11, B&W,)
- What are Smart Meters? Dangers? Costs? Flyer Update 2020 (Last Tree Laws, 8 X 11, B&W, 1 side)
- Stop Smart Meters - Flyers
- Future Site of 5G Installation (Sign shared by group in western USA)
- EHTrust dot org (flyers on many topics)
- WirelessRiskAssessment dot org/E-safety (E-safety and wireless safety flyer for teens, flyer for elementary - also see links page)
This will be added when time!
Note that the resources below are external, and sometimes differ on how best to protect children and adults from any ill effects.
- Humanetech dot com (see "Take Control" for tips)
- Humanetech dot com (see "Ledger of Harm"for research)
- WirelessRiskAssessment dot org/E-safety (E-safety and wireless safety flyer for teens)
- Zonein dot ca (therapist Cris Rowan has fact sheets, book recommendations, and products such as a Zone In program for schools)
- Neurological Impacts of Screen Time and Recommendations
- The Peril of Persuasion in the Technological Age
- Movie: KidsonTech.film (2021)
- Movie: Screenagers.com (c. 2016)
- Screentimenetwork dot org (See "Resource Library" and "Screen Time Action Kit"materials.)
- Waldorf schools
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (sends federal action alerts)
- ACLUM.org (see privacy and surveillance - as well as legislation)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center - EPIC.org
- Parent Coalition for Student Privacy - studentprivacymatters.org
- MocoSafeG dot org (Has a flyer on privacy and wireless)
- ProPrivacy dot com (Online privacy reviews)
- RestorePrivacy dot com (Online privacy reviews - note Brave Browser stands accused of allowing money to flow to disturbing organizations and of misusing browser to funnel funds to Brave)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) - Also see:
- Chromebook privacy settings
- Google student account settings
- Recommendation parents formally opt out of sharing of student information
- Parent Coalition for Student Privacy - studentprivacymatters.org (Educator & parent toolkit)
- ACLU school privacy resources & advice:
- Concerns over school apps - "Certain information about students is fair game for data brokers. Parents must formally opt out to prevent the release of their child’s “directory” information."
- ACLU offers school resources including model privacy policies and advice.
Please see MA legislation for state links.
- Gov.info - Federal public and private laws
- GovTrack.US - Search and find data on federal legislation. Follow a federal bill or a legislator by request
- Federal Register - Announces new federal laws and rules