Support Attorney Healey’s Smart Grid Investigation
By Kirstin Beatty
Please consider submitting a letter (instructions and template below) to the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (DPU) against the smart grid to assist the Attorney General’s investigation, which may lead to trial.
Deadline: Friday, 4 September, 5 PM Eastern.
The Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities is accepting public “reply” comments on whether to expand the smart meter program, possibly to serve electric vehicles (EV). As a result of existing comments on the docket by various organizations and individuals as described here, the Massachusetts Attorney General is initiating a public investigation into the matters discussed in the docket, which included counter-arguments to the grid for reasons of health, environment, economic justice and civil rights.
See an excerpt of the statement below, where the Attorney General states she is engaging consultants to investigate the claims and suggest (propound) discovery, a pre-trial procedure:
Reply comments could help guide the Attorney General, with domino effects on smart grids in Massachusetts and others states, as well as upon 5G and other wireless technologies.
Reply comments are meant to reply to existing comments in the docket. The Attorney General’s initial comment was in support of smart meters in order to advance green technology and to save energy.
Filing comments may mean that you can be included in any court case filed against the DPU or the state. You would need to say in the docket and be able to prove you are being or would be harmed by grid expansion.
Do say if the smart grid harms you & how.
If expounding on a topic, pick one or two and just do those well – the AG may have to read all comments. The best reply comments would probably include or be as follows:
- Information on why smart meters are not green
- Personal suffering and disability caused by the smart grid and/or wireless
- Scientific and medical references
- References from proven sources
- Submissions from scientific and medical experts
- Submissions by legislators, such as Senator Moore submitted
- To thank Last Tree Laws, please link to the website in your submission!
A template and instructions are provided below.
Much thanks to Patricia Burke, who initially was very active with Halt Smart Meters Massachusetts and is likely the state smart meter expert, for sending a mass email encouraging comments on the DPU docket and for suggesting the topics of economic and environmental justice as well as health. Patricia Burke’s detailed comments can be found online here.
Draft your statement and save as a .pdf file. The DPU requires a .pdf file to be posted to their website.
- Observe deadline – fillings are required by Friday, September 4, 5 PM Eastern
- Address email to:
- CC line: Please add Patricia’s gmail account, as she is confirming the DPU receives and posts emails – please cc Last Tree Laws as well:
- gmail via stopsmartmetersmass@
- lasttreelaws.com via action@
- Subject line for email:
- Reply Comment MA DPU 20-69 Modernization of Electric Grid Phase Two
- Place in text of email:
- See attached reply comment of ___________ (your name) in Opposition to MA DPU 20-69 Modernization of Electric Grid Phase Two
- Your name or company, title, credentials
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Note: File size may not exceed 20 MB, so larger files must be split. If you send additional attachments or articles other than your comment, please list them in the email.
- Craft your testimony in a separate document (not in the body of the email)
- See template below.
- Include your name and credentials at top
- For all links and references, state at the end: “All references, including links, are incorporated into this testimony by reference.”
- Do not include personal contact information, which will be posted online as part of the PDF.
- Save your document as a PDF. If you’re not sure how to create a .pdf file, reach out to Patricia’s gmail account and she’ll help: stopsmartmetersmass@
- Attach the PDF to your email and send.
- Check that your PDF is posted a few days later by typing 20-69 into this search box.
TO: Mark D. Marini, Secretary, Department of Public Utilities, One South Station, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02110
RE: Reply Comment MA DPU 20-69 Modernization of Electric Grid Phase Two
Please halt any smart grid expansion and roll back existing installations. Right now, the question of safe wireless infrastructure is a subject of federal and state court cases. Proceeding is foolish. Smart meters threaten health, safety, resources, energy, and economic justice.
Expanding the smart grid in Massachusetts impacts me because _______.
I am going to discuss: _________.
[Discuss topic – for resources, see SmartMeterHarm dot org (reports); StopSmartMeters dot org (problem page); StopSmartMetersBC dot com (tabs of many issues); MichiganStopSmartMeters dot com (legal and other points); and ElectronicSilentSpring dot com (eco-focus) – EHTrust dot org and MDSafeTech dot org are also helpful]
Please take these concerns into consideration.